1.22.2010

Henry's first foods...

I've decided to go a different direction with the twins' first foods.  After some research I've been looking into BLW~Baby Lead Weaning  Basically, you do not use baby pureed food, but move directly into real food. 

The key is to serve it to them in large chunks for them to kind of gnaw on and mush up themselves. You do not put the food into the baby's mouth.  It is self directed so that their skill set matches what they eat.  For example, until a baby can use his pincher grip and pick up the tiny pieces, he should not have bite sized food because he might choke on them.  {Which I believe is sooo the Lord's design}

Most of the food will be served in disk shape or "chip" shape (which in the UK is like a potato wedge) Since food before one year is mostly practice for breastfed babies the focus is not on quantity.  Most of the information that I have found is from the UK.

Here are some pictures from Henry's first foods.  It took 3 days of putting him in the high chair before he even touched the food.  Mary Catherine is still completely uninterested. 


 
 

2 comments:

  1. I never started my babies on any solid food until 9 months anyways. At that point, I went almost directly to food like you are talking about. I did feed them oatmeal, and mushed up things like sweet potatoes, but not much else. Mostly it was real food in manageble bits they could handle. Like you said, breastfed babies aren't supposed to need anything else till 1 year anyways, so it is all practice. I'm sure MC will pick it up in her own time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/24/2010

    Sounds like they're making a good start. I'm glad BLW seems to be working (slowly) for them. I'm sure Mary Catherine will be catching on soon. And like you said, it's all practice anyway! :D

    ReplyDelete