4.30.2009

Low Iron & Ice Crunching

When I am pregnant, I usually have low iron (around 9.5, and it's supposed to be 11). In the past, I have not taken iron supplements b/c they cause my GI track to slow down considerably. Since my energy level isn't usually affected by the low iron, I just suffer through it until the end of my pregnancy.

I thought it was funny when the nurse called me to discuss my low iron and she asked me if I was tired due to the low iron. I told her that I'm pregnant with twins, I home school two children and I have a four year old boy, of course I'm tired! Who wouldn't be tired?

However, one side effect of low iron is the 'crack-like' addiction to crunching ice. Normally, I have zero desire to crunch ice, but with every pregnancy, once my iron levels drop, the addiction increases.

Well, my ob found an iron supplement that doesn't slow your GI track and I have been taking it for almost two weeks.

No more ice crunching. It's gone. I even got a large soda at Cookout after church last night, with pellet ice and didn't even crunch it. Unbelievable really because that ice is the best if you crunch ice. For months now I would go there specifically for their ice. My addiction was so bad that Jackson recognizes Cookout drinks and points them out when he sees them. "Mommy, Mrs. Cooper at church had a drink from Cookout!"

So, if you crunch ice, you probably have low iron. You should try an iron supplement for a few weeks and see if it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment