8.10.2009

Sleep?

Yesterday was a crazy day. Jason found out very last minute after church that he had to go to out of town for the rest of the day and night. In his rush to leave he forgot some keys he needed. So, after I nursed the twins we packed up the gang and went to work (30 mins away) to give him the keys.

Since I already had the gang packed up and we decided to go the mall so I could return some things that were the wrong size at Baby Gap. The children did very well and I was able to get what I needed, with exception of a sound machine.

I am trying to find a sound machine that is louder than the one I have now. Jason got the one we have and it's for babies so I am assuming that is why it isn't too loud. They don't want you deafening your child, but I need to drown out the noise of the other three since the babies sleep in our room which is right off the kitchen. Right now we have the sound machine and a box fan going which works well, but we have to keep dragging the box fan from room to room b/c they sleep in the living room at night. I would like to just use two sound machines because then I don't have to worry about moving anything.

Okay, so after the mall, I called some friends who live near the mall to see if we could drop by since I had not seen them since the twins were born. We ended up having dinner with them-Pei Wei- yummy.

We got home around 7ish and I fed the babies and put them in their crib for the first time all day around 8:30 pm. They had pretty much cat napped in their car seats all day. I was hoping they would sleep well until the 10:30ish feeding. Mary Catherine had other ideas. She got up around 9:30 and was so miserable. I would normally follow the whole cry it out method, because after a few minutes she will go back to sleep, but I just know it's related to this medicine they are taking. She is burping out both ends and just pitifully sad.

The only thing that will calm her is to nurse her, so for the next hour she nurses. Yes, I said hour. She's usually finished in 20 minutes. As soon as she's finished and finally happy, it's time to wake up Henry. Since I am alone, I decide to wait until MC is completely asleep because I won't be able to tend to her if I'm nursing Henry. I got him up before 11:30 pm and he nurses for an hour, which is not that unusual for him.

By the time I am in bed and Henry is asleep it is 1:00 am. I am praying that Mary Catherine does not wake up soon. Usually at night they go around 4 hrs, maybe 5 hrs at the most and since she had started eating at 9:30 pm, that was going to be very soon. This is why it is very important to keep twins on the same schedule.

Well, much to my surprise, the first I heard anyone was 5 AM! It wasn't even MC, it was Henry stirring and crying out. I got up and started to get my stuff ready and then I decided to wait until he was full blown crying. They are usually in the den, so we don't hear all the little stuff leading up to the crying. I forced myself to go back to sleep. Henry started to really cry at 6:40 am. That's right folks, 6:40 am! Mary Catherine went from 9:30 pm until 6:40 am and she wasn't even the one crying. I could not believe it.

The best part is that even though Jason wasn't here to help I didn't have the middle of the night feeding anyway.

I am not expecting the same results tonight because they won't be completely exhausted like they were yesterday. I would rather they get good sleep all the time than wear them out so I can get a couple of extra hours at night. In the long run having a good nap schedule is more important because the night time sleep will come.

Well, I'm off to do some laundry with all this new found energy...
Sadly, I really don't feel anymore rested than normal... oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment