8.21.2009

Dietary Suggestions???

Our visit with the doctor was not all I hoped it would be, but I'm getting used to that I suppose.

We had a very *thorough* discussion on how acid medications like Prevacid, Prilosec, Zantac, etc... do not help with spit up, but with the pain caused by reflux. He even broke out the medical books because he could tell that I did not believe him.

I discussed with him that I had spoken with several mothers/fathers and that they had given me references on medications that HAD helped their child with spit up.

Apparently, you are all wrong and he is right. After all, HE is a doctor and went to med. school and you did not.

So, he wrote me a prescription for Axid and I am to try that for the next two weeks. If there is no improvement, which he suspects there won't be, but he wrote it to humor me I suppose. He asked if Henry was fussy and overall I say no, but he does cry when he spits up and I can see he is in pain. I just don't have overly fussy babies. They fuss when they are hungry or tired. Once I meet those needs, they are happy.

So, if any of you have any dietary suggestions for nursing moms with spitty babies, I would like to hear them. I know that if I eat ice cream or milk his spit up is much worse.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/21/2009

    Sarah, Mary Elizabeth was on Zantac for spitting and it worked wonders. I would watch the dairy and I"m trying to think what else I cut out with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/24/2009

    My neighbor could not have any dairy products when nursing her baby. The baby had lactose problems...it helped quite a bit...she eventually grew out of it. It may be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete