I am still dealing with nursing issues. I need to touch base with the LC to discuss where they are at this point and get more advice, encouragement, guidance, etc...
The frustration at this point is that they nurse with the SNS tubing and get 2 oz from that, and about one more from me. After they eat, I pump and get at least 2 oz, so I have plenty of milk, it's just that they are not accessing it from some reason.
I could be off base, but I feel like the SNS is kind of making them lazy a little, now they their suck is getting better. They are both latching on okay. Their suck could be better, but I feel like it would get stronger if they had to work a little harder to get the milk. The tubing isn't difficult and it practically falls into their mouth. Sometimes it actually comes out too fast and they choke.
So tonight I decided they were going to nurse with nothing attached. I pumped afterwards and got about an ounce or a little more from each side. Mary Catherine did well and got her fill pretty quickly b/c I put her on the 'good' side. Everyone who has ever nursed knows you have a good side that produces more than the other side. My good side produces about half to one ounce more.
I kept switching Henry from side to side to get him his fill. I think he ended up with about 3 oz, but he spits up so much that he might have wanted more but by then he had nursed for over 30 mins and he was tuckered out.
I weigh them before they eat and after so that I can see exactly how many mL they get for my peace of mind.
Wish me luck. (really prayers, b/c I don't believe in luck.)
No comments:
Post a Comment