I have a small break in between the chaos, so I thought I would update.
Last night for both of the middle of the night feedings, we bottle fed the twins. The LC recommended that so that we are not up too long. It was a good recommendation because the twins are so terrible at their suck that it takes them at least 30 mins to drink 2 oz.
After they eat then I pump.
Jason fed and changed Henry and I had Mary Catherine. I am so thankful for his help. It's not easy to lose sleep and Jay loves sleep more than food. :) He happily and lovingly helped me both feedings. Let's hope that sweet demeanor stays for the next couple of weeks.
This morning (8:30 am) MC slept longer, so I had time for Henry to nurse with the SNS tube. He did well and drank 20 ml from the tube while staying attached. He still doesn't attach perfectly, but we're working on it. it took about a dozen attempts to get him to stay on. Afterwards, I had Kerrigan feed Henry a bottle while I had MC nurse with the SNS tubing. She also stayed attached and drank 20 ml via the SNS.
I still don't think that they are getting much from me b/c when I pump I get the same amount, but they are learning at least. So, they 'nurse' for 15 mins and might get close to an ounce, including what they get from the SNS. A lot of work for a little reward.
All of this is so new for me. I'm not used to needing help, but at this point it's absolutely necessary.
(As I sit and write this, my friend and neighbor, Sharon, just called and offered to come help feed a baby while my family is at church. God is so good to work through people.)
No comments:
Post a Comment