We went for our two week check up today.
It was not good news.
Henry weighed 5 lbs 10 oz. He was 6 lbs 12 oz at birth. He was supposed to be back at that for this appointment.
Mary Catherine weighed 5 lbs 4 oz. She was 5 lbs 12 oz at birth.
The dr. wants me to supplement with formula after I nurse them and go in for a weight check on Tues.
I have mixed emotions about the supplementing.
After paying attention to things more closely today after our appointment, I believe the issue lies in the fact that for whatever reason, the twins cannot induce my 'let down'. I'm thinking that it might because their mouths are so small right now.
They nurse for about 20-40 mins and then I pump because I want to keep up my milk supply. Once I start pumping, I can feel my let down and I can get about 1 oz-2 oz and sometimes 3 oz per side in about 2-3 mins.
So, I am 'thinking' that I am going to pump a little first and then attach the twins.
I am going to supplement after I nurse them. I just don't know if it will be with formula or pumped milk. The dr. is concerned that my milk is not high enough in calories. I can see the fat in my milk separate to the top, so I do not share that concern. However, I am not so closed minded as to think that I could be wrong.
To add to the issue, I am a little put off by my dr. b/c I honestly do not think he took the time to listen to me. I am not fresh off the turnip truck. I have done this before and I wanted to discuss options and he just wants results. After all, he's "been doing this for 26 years and he knows what he's talking about!"
So, please pray for my babies. I want to be able to nurse them and I want them to fatten up.
I like the idea of pumping first and then attaching the babies. Breastmilk is best. My sister in law went through this and she never supplemented with formula! You are all in my prayers! Valerie
ReplyDeleteI think the pumping first and then feeding them idea is smart. I thought of that as I read it and then saw that you had already thought of it (because you didn't just fall off the turnip truck - I liked that). I will pray for you and them. :)
ReplyDeletePraying for wisdom and that your sweet babies will "fatten up". :) Cyndi
ReplyDeleteI know about nursing - but not about nursing twins - but I would think it makes sense that if you pump a little first to let down and then nurse and then also pump afterward and let them drink that from a bottle it may help. You could even use what you did from your previous pumping so the bottles would be ready when you start nursing and you could go straight to bottle feeding the breast milk afterward. Then the girls or Jason could even give them the bottles while you pump again. Kind of a long process but it may help. If you can get them drinking more your body will make more and then they should do better. It sounds like if you are pumping that much milk so quickly that they are probably not getting enough when they nurse. Are they fussy or do they seem hungry more often than they should be? You are doing well Sarah to be keeing up with all you are! I am sorry you had a discouraging visit today!!
ReplyDeleteI agree w/ you, Valerie and Ashley.
ReplyDeleteIt will be hard at night pumping and then feeding but that hind milk is what is the fattiest and will do them the most good (run on sentence, I know). To help stimulate "let down" have you tried massaging your breasts? As I say that, I'm wondering if you have a spare hand to massage with. ???
I am praying for you now.
Love ya! Monica
I went through the same thing. I just kept nursing. I didn't tell anyone. :) I love the "pumping before" idea. That will bring the good fatty milk down quicker. They might choke a little at first. You can do it!!!
ReplyDeleteKeep up the hard work Sarah. You sure do have experience with all of this and that's a fact. I really hope things turn around soon for you, I'll be praying for you and the babies... Jessica
ReplyDelete