So, $140 later... (I should become a lactation consultant in my later years...)
Okay this is what I know, or was confirmed for me.
Mary Catherine has a terrible suck. She now will use a nipple shield and the SNS until she improves. I will then have to wean her off of two things. We're hoping that her suck will improve. The LC was hopeful, but concerned.
Henry's suck is okay, but his frustration level makes it so he will not latch correctly without the SNS to give him constant milk. I will work on weaning him off the SNS by closing the valve off and on while he is nursing to encourage him to draw from me.
So, the plan is to continue to nurse one baby, with all contraptions necessary, while someone else feeds the other baby. For a few more weeks, it will take a circus to get this accomplished. Thank the Lord in Heaven for my girls and Jason, as well as good friends and family who have been recruited to help off and on.
I mourn for the ease of nursing my babies without all this pomp and circumstance.
The LC did recommend the Podee bottle because it is harder to suck the milk, which will strengthen their muscles. My sister is going to drive and get that for me at Babies R Us, which is 45 mins from us. This bottle should be better for everyone because the girls won't have to hold the babies completely upright when they feed them.
As far as my milk supply, I am now taking Fenugreek Seed three times a day and I will start Reglan. The LC said that each baby should be getting 2 oz of milk every three hours. She said they may drink more because it's in a bottle and flowing faster, but they don't 'need' more at this point. So, if I don't have more than 2 oz of breast milk and they are still starving, I will give them some formula.
Right now, I'm still ahead a little bit on milk. I know it's the Lord supplying my needs. He wants me right there, not too cocky, not too prideful...just right there leaning on Him for my every need.
You are doing an awesome job! I didn't have to experience what you are dealing with with my twins. I want to keep encouraging you because I know how exhausting it is to nurse twins! You have more to deal with since they are still learning to suck! Mine had trouble at the hospital and they told be I would have to give them formula and I refuse. They said I wouldn't be able to pump enough for them to have an ounce each for their first feeding but I was determined to have them nurse and I was able to pump enough and after that they were strong enough to nurse and continued for a year! Hope this info is encouraging!
ReplyDeleteHeather
(Monica's cousin)